Interior Photography Shoot for Thomas Sanderson Blinds
This blog is about an interior photography shoot for Thomas Sanderson and how the images were created. Its aim is to explain what is involved in a professional interior photographic shoot.
The main creative team met at the location house in February 2020 for a rece. This was me the photographer, Samantha Gibson the Creative Director from Thomas Sanderson and Kate McPhee the stylist. We went through the locations to use for the planned 5 shots and looked at what could stay and what would need to go. I considered the light and started planning how I would control the light to make the product look its very best in the beautiful location. Lots of pictures later we left looking forward to the shoot which was planned to be at the end of March 2020. As the date got closer & with Covid on the horizon we looked at how it could go ahead and then lockdown happened and the shoot was postponed.
With the first lockdown eased new dates were booked in October 2020 and with Covid Protoclols and social distancing it went ahead.
As the photographer I concentrated on the light first. The shutters (the product) had to look fantastic so the lighting had to match, be controlled and show the product to its very best. This was achieved by using many reflectors to bounce light in, large pieces of card to act as a baffle to reduce light in places and large lighting screens to soften the main light source the sun. I also attached tracing paper to the outside of the windows to reduce highlights and burn out and reduced lens flare using what film makers call a french flag.
Once I was happy with the light and checking it was relatively even and natural the camera came out, on to the tripod and the best angles looked at. The shoot required various shooting picture ratios so these were considered by composing with my Canon 5D RS tethered to my Macbook Pro using Capture One software.
While all of this was going on Kate the stylist, her assistant and Samantha the Creative Director were busy organising the Thomas Sanderson Installers on the two rooms that we were using, so we could go from one to the other and make the most of the time. There was set building going on, painting of walls, moving of furniture, blinds and shutters going up and then of course dressing the sets with the lovely props.
Once I was set up on the first shot I started setting up the lighting on the second location while the first was still being dressed.
When a location is ready to shoot the main creative team would gather socially distanced around the tethered laptop to view the images. Using screenshots and Whats App, images were sent to the Directors of Thomas Sanderson for comments and approval.
To get quality images it does take time, it does need a team of people working together all working towards the end goal. Getting it as right in camera means less re-touching and product looking more natural. As the old saying goes “you get what you pay for.”
Blinds & client https://www.thomas-sanderson.co.uk
Vase & Bowl https://www.amara.com